Traumpfädchen Sayner Aussichten
Traumpfade im Rhein-Mosel-Eifel-Land Verified partner Explorers Choice
Im Schlosspark Sayn mit Blick auf Schloss SaynPhoto: Klaus-Peter Kappest, Traumpfade im Rhein-Mosel-Eifel-Land
Experience culture and nature at their finest. The Traumpädchen Sayner Aussichten encompasses all the highlights of Sayn Culture Park, including the castle, the palace and the abbey. Winding pathways take us into the Brexbach Valley and then up over the Pulverberg. Spectacular views throughout.
Highlights of the Traumpfädchen
- Sayn Castle and Sayn Palace together with the Palace Park
- Sayn Abbey
- Butterfly Garden
- Heins Mill
- View of the Sayn Foundry
- Sayn high ropes climbing forest
- Wide-reaching panoramas
Rest stopsRistorante Petrocelli Vallendar
Hikers like narrow pathways, unspoilt natural trails (leading over the forest floor, across the grass or alongside streams) and rocky climbs which lead to spectacular views. It goes without saying that particular care should be exercised when taking such routes.
Things to bear in mind when preparing for your hike
- Wear proper clothing that is appropriate to the weather conditions and that will protect you against the cold and the wet or the heat and the sun.
- Schedule suitable breaks during your hike and make sure that you conserve energy.
- Take sufficient liquids with you. Establishments selling refreshments are not available everywhere.
- When hiking on the Traumpfade, please wear appropriate hiking boots which provide a sufficient foothold on slippery, steep, rocky and uneven paths.
- If you do not feel that you are able to negotiate certain parts of the route, then you should avoid such sections or else turn back. Natural pathways may become muddy and treacherous, especially in unfavourable weather.
- In autumn in particular, please remember that leaves lying on the ground may be concealing bumps, routes, stones or holes in the path.
- You will need to expect route impairments of this kind if you are intending to undertake a hike.
- Before setting out, visit https://www.traumpfade.info/traumpfaedchen/wege-status/ in order to find out whether the route you intend to hike is closed or whether diversions are in place. Construction works, timber felling or other disruptions may also be planned.
- Recommended hiking season: April to October
Tips and hints
Tourist-Information Bendorf, Tel.: +49 (0)2622/703105, email@example.com, www.bendorf.de
Projektbüro Traumpfade, Tel.: +49 (0)261/108419, firstname.lastname@example.org, www.traumpfade.info
Traumpfade App for iOS: Download the app from iTunes
Traumpfade App for Android: Download the app from Google Play
Our tour through Sayn Culture Park begins at the car park located at 167 Koblenz-Olper-Straße. The “Sayner Aussichten” trail begins as soon as we have crossed the bridge over the Saynbach and is best completed in a clockwise direction. Following the distinctive logos, we turn left to reach the nearby “Schloss” car park and cross over the L 306 main road. On the other side, a rough ascending path follows the same route as the Saynsteig and Rheinsteig trails up to Castle Hill. Once this initial challenge has been overcome, we are able to enjoy splendid views from Sayn Castle down into the valley and out across the Neuwied Basin.
Coming down from the castle, the Traumpfädchen takes a sharp right turn into a quaint forest and descends significantly. After changing direction once more, we undertake a steady climb to the nearby Oskarhöhe hill. A shelter provides a place to rest and an opportunity to take in a beautiful outlook of the valley.
Sureness of foot will now be required as the path wends its way down into the Brexbach Valley via a series of serpentine turns. We then pass open meadows on our way to the towering viaduct which carries the Brexbach Valley Railway. Immediately upon passing through the viaduct, we traverse a small bridge over the rushing waters of the Brexbach river. Things are about to become strenuous! We make our way up the Pulverberg via several loops. Somewhat out of breath by now, we arrive at a cross path. Fortunately, there are benches to sit on and gain our second wind.
The main Saynsteig and Rheinsteig trails now continue on in an uphill direction, but our Traumpfädchen is kind enough to provide a relaxed woodland hike. We go past the stone shelter on the Emma-Höhe and descend gently into the valley. The peace and quiet is, however, suddenly shattered by the sounds of shouts of joy. The reason for the noise quickly becomes apparent. The route leads straight through the Sayn high ropes climbing forest, where daredevils can be found swinging their way across the treetops.
We, however, remain firmly on the ground. We cross the Brexbach Valley railway line and come to a forest lounger which offers a box seat view of the venerable abbey church. Both the church and its cloister are well worth seeing. The path now takes us along the edge of a car park to a bridge over a mill brook. We also see the adjacent Heins Mill before a narrow path leading alongside the water brings us into a residential area and on to Schlossstraße. Once we reach the palace, we cross the road and enjoy an entertaining walk through the Palace Park. We pass the Butterfly Garden and end our 6.1 kilometre tour back at the car park.
Destination stop: Sayn Castle (through the castle park in the direction of the Garden of Butterflies - the starting point of the trail is located there).
Line 8 Koblenz center - Urbar - Vallendar - Bendorf - Sayn
From the A 48 exit Bendorf/Neuwied on the B 42 direction Neuwied- exit Bendorf-Sayn on the B 413 - follow the signs to Sayn/Garten der Schmetterlinge - parking lot "Koblenz-Olper-Straße 167" on the left hand side
56170 Bendorf-Sayn, parking lot (Koblenz-Olper-Straße 167)
56170 Bendorf-Sayn (Koblenz-Olper-Straße 167)
56710 Bendorf-Sayn (parking lot Prälatengarten) - chargeable
Book recommendation by the author
- Ein Schöner Tag "traumpfädchen", Ulrike Poller & Wolfgang Todt, ISBN: 978-3-942779-49-4
- Traumpfade & Traumpfädchen Band 1: Die 18 besten Premium-Rundwanderungen an Rhein und Mosel, Ulrike Poller & Wolfgang Todt ISBN: 978-3-942779-64-7
Surefootedness and a head for heights are required in some sections.
You should not embark upon the tours in icy conditions.
Robust footwear is recommended!
Details of route closures can be found at: https://www.traumpfade.info/traumpfaedchen/wege-status/
The Traumpfädchen are not suitable for prams or rollator users.
- 16 Waypoints
- 16 Waypoints
Questions and answers
Would you like to the ask the author a question?
Photos from others